Sunday, July 28, 2013

J's Vintage Airplane Rocker



When I was pregnant with J, I found this cute little airplane rocker on Craigslist for $10! I bought it with the intention of doing something with it but never got around to it. Two years later, I stumbled across a wood piece someone painted in Miss Mustard Seed's "Tricycle" milk paint on Pinterest and fell in love! I've never used milk paint before and thought this would be the perfect piece to test it out on. Miss Mustard Seed did not disappoint!

What you'll need:

• Miss Mustard Seed milk paint in "Tricycle"
• Solo cup to mix water and paint in
• Paint brush
• Rustoleum wood stain in "Dark Walnut"
• Miss Mustard Seed Furniture Wax
• Cheesecloth





I did not want a thick layer of paint on this rocker. I love to see the grain of the wood so I diluted the mixture about 1 part paint to 3 parts water. I tested it out on the bottom of the rocker until I got the consistency I wanted.

It was really simple to apply. Just brush on like any other paint. Once it was dry, I applied a thin layer of her furniture wax and lightly buffed with the cheesecloth. I love the luster it gives the finish.

I don't care for heavily distressed finishes, so I just lightly sanded the edges after waxing to give it a more vintage feel.

For the bottom I just used plain old Rustoleum to stain it. I see now that there are some milk paint stains available which I would love to try it out!

Pretty simple afternoon project!
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I am so in love with this little rocker, I’d kill to find something like this for my baby boy!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one you may be interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one you may be interested in.

    ReplyDelete